Sunday, September 28, 2014

It seemed like a fun idea...

I love using the paint color cards that you can find in the house paint department.

The Kindergarteners have been learning about the colors and the color wheel, so I thought it would be fun to create a game with the cards.

Each table of 3 had six colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet

Here are some examples of the tasks I would say to the groups:

-make one row of primary colors and one row of secondary colors
-all the girls pick up a primary color
-all the boys pick up a secondary color
-put the two colors that make green in the center of the table

Can you guess the predicament I ran into?

From the beginning, most students found it difficult to part with certain colors and after I'd say a task, the student who had a card would think that it was now theirs to keep.



So, I had to take the cards and we did this differently.

I would place the cards on the dry erase board and would ask 1 student at a time a question.  I would write the symbols "+," "?," and "=" between the cards and they had to place the correct card over the question mark.

Examples: 

red + yellow = ?
? + blue = green
? + red = violet
? + ? = orange
? + ? = ?

They really enjoyed this activity, and one student said, "Its like we are doing math! This is crazy!" Watching each student answer a question, helped the other students to learn more about color mixing.

I will try the first game again, but next time I will be prepared by giving each student their own set of colors and having a designated container or placemat on the table for other cards.


No comments:

Post a Comment